About the game
The Beaver game began with a joke about Goat Simulator that somehow involved Beavers, and thus,
Beaver Simulator The Beaver Game was created. The project quickly took on a bit of a life of its own, and I found myself spending quite a lot of time on it. Unfortunately other projects took priority.
With this game I was kind of trying to make something that wasn't at all violent in the sense of having the beaver attack or kill anything, unless they were trees, and, if you choose to switch to 'Otter Mode', fish.
I had a few weeks off work over christmas, and it was quite a lot of fun to attempt to realise something of this scale, handling the modelling, animation, programming and sound as a sole developer is something that is challenging but pretty rewarding when the plan comes together.
The beaver game is written with the Leadwerks game engine, which produces a pretty tight-looking scene at a good framerate with OpenGL4, I grabbed it off Steam during a sale mostly out of curiosity, but it has an Lua API that really appealed to me due to its compactness, and is pretty well integrated with Steam etc. for publishing on Windows/Linux (not that I am quite there with this one yet)
All modelling and animation, as with all my projects, is done with Blender, which is really a pretty amazing tool for this kind of thing.
2016-02-26 I had to go back to my day-job, and decided to work on a plan which would allow me to spend more time on this kind of thing. Things are working out quite well in that department, and I'm hoping to spin this one up again soon. Please email me if you are interested in this game and what happens to it.
Development history - Videos
- 2015-02-24 Beaver game Progress video #16 Showing the 3 levels - Exploration, Pinecone run, Bear encounter at the Lake.
- 2015-02-16 Beaver game Progress video #15 Making a new map with several 'levels' that will be reached by 'filling in the missing logs' of the dams.
- 2015-02-06 Beaver game Progress video #14 And now, with pinecones
- 2015-02-06 Beaver game Progress video #13 Ballistics... neat.
- 2015-02-02 Beaver game Progress video #12 Crows are supposed to toss pinecones at the beaver. Right now they just drop colourful balls, and despite being unfinished, its kind of cool.
- 2015-01-29 Beaver game Progress video #11 Leadwerks adds a builtin water function. A little bit of work to create an underwater shader and the look is coming together.
- 2015-01-26 Beaver game Progress video #10 Lighting changes, a bit of attention given to the environment, and the first pass at adding crows to the scene
- 2015-01-19 Beaver game Progress video #09 Animated, swimming fish. At this point Leadwerks didn't actually have a built-in water function.
- 2015-01-10 Beaver game Progress video #08 Rocks, and a bear. Bears are awesome.
- 2015-01-07 Beaver game Progress video #07 Trees add some striking shadows and fill out the game world a bit more
- 2015-01-06 Beaver game Progress video #06 Continue refining stuff, this video features some flying fish and some sprites to deliver gameplay-related messages
- 2015-01-05 Beaver game Progress video #05 Add an actual beaver, and some fish.
- 2015-01-03 Beaver game Progress video #04 First tests of Leadwerks terrain sculpting tools, along with a dam-building mechanic
- 2014-12-30 Beaver game Progress video #03 Beaver game Progress video #03 The otter can now turn trees into logs, and adding more stuff to the sandbox level and repositioning the camera makes things look a bit nicer
- 2014-12-30 Beaver game Progress video #02 Added some stuff to my sandbox environment, and started having some fun with programming log pickup/carry mechanic as well as adding the ability for the otter to swim.
- 2014-12-23 Beaver game Progress video #01 First steps towards making the Beaver game. For some reason I made the otter model first - Testing out a couple animation loop and some simple mechanics in a very basic world. Hadn't even figured out texturing at this point